Tuesday 6 December 2011

The invisible Pig.

I’m considering becoming ‘The Great Inviso’, the first ever magician to work with invisible objects. I’m still working on my first trick, to make an invisible wine bottle disappear. You laugh but it’s not as easy as it sounds. First I have to find it, which isn’t easy. And then I’d have to carry all this stuff including a baby pig to performances along with my beautiful, scantily clad assistant, Camilla. Well I wouldn’t carry her; she’d have to buy her own bus ticket. But I’m excited about the tricks with the invisible baby pig, once we’ve caught the bloody thing. This will be the crescendo of the act. First I place it on a small table; I’m going to have to put it in a trance and make it believe it’s watching Match of the Day so it stands still. Then I’ll slowly walk in front of it and, vwala! It changes colour to red, back the other way and it’s blue. I plan on doing this several times until the applause begins to dip. Then the piece of resistance, I or we, me and the audience together, will attempt to levitate the pig up off the table. There will be silence and complete concentration and a waggling of hands rising slowly up accompanied by the same in sound. As it lands back down on the table I will grab the pig and leave with Camilla to rapturous applause. Oh I forgot one thing, sorry, this must all seem nonsensical without it. I need to get a member of the audience to touch the invisible wine bottle to confirm that it’s there. Without that this would all look a bit stupid. This is where the practice comes in. I will ask for a volunteer to close her eyes and feel a real bottle and pace my hand on her shoulder as I confirm, “you can feel the bottle,” then say to the audience, “So lets see Mary if you can feel the (invisible) bottle.” This has to be done precisely. I will say loudly, “So lets see Mary”, mumble the “if”, and then place my hand on here shoulder again as I say directly to her, “you can feel the bottle.” I may repeat it in a different way but again place my hand on here shoulder as I say the phrase. Finally as her fingers approach the invisible bottle I will repeat the hand and phrase. If it works she will be amazed to find she can. I will make it disappear and move her hand through the place where it was and she’ll confirm she can’t feel it. Total confirmation that what you’re not seeing is believing. It’s called anchoring. Of course I won’t tell the audience there’s no such thing as an invisible pig that changes colour; that would be stupid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment