Sunday 6 December 2009

Surfs are shit.

I swear if one of the X Factor judges said a critical word against Hitler singing ‘I did it my way’ the audience would start booing. What is it with these people who would rather ignore reality than accept some imperfection? Or is it simply gross manipulation. The collective ‘we’ have had enough of the collective ‘them’ and unlike the boss at work we can openly vent our collective spleen on Simon et al without fear of redundancy.
It is of course just a new arrangement of the old standard, ‘Call me names and give me money’, based on an even older folk tune written by the Sheriff of Nottingham, ‘Ye surfs are shit but I’m in charge.’ In this ancient ballad of puppetry the puppet master controls both the actors and the audience and collects the money at the door of the theatre. One can often hear it sung at bankers Christmas bonus parties. It is surely pleasure for everyone. Sing, phone in or collect, everyone gets what they want. In an even newer slant the group ‘Rage Against The Machine’ is issuing a Christmas single with a twist. It’s called, ‘Call them names and give me money.’ One has to admire human ingenuity.
Might it be that capitalism is feudalism with a twist? Feudalism was based on ‘give me money because I tell you to’, where as capitalism is ‘give me money because you want to.’ Oh and by the way, I’ll tell you what you want.
I’m just glad I’m above it all and I do what I like, as I smoke my fag and drink my beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment