Thursday 18 October 2012

The Psychopath Club.

If you watched the film you’ll notice several things. These two guys are playful, intelligent and selflessly brave. Corporate people may be intelligent but use it along strictly prescribed lines; they have a self-learned blinkered vision highly attuned to hierarchy and the dictates of superiors, and a poor sense of play. Their response to occurrences and ideas outside their blinkered field of view are vehemently dismissed as lies, sick, twisted, cruel, irrelevant, vindictive, even possibly terrorism. Very much like any cult they have a careful mind-changing induction process, a high level of shared referencing within the group, a highly enforced boundary and a mutual perception and rejection of external attacks. This is the perfect home for psychopaths as superbly exposed in the documentary, ‘Enron The Smartest guys in the Room’.
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xIO731MAO4 )
Every characteristic of psychopathic behaviour is incontrovertibly evident in all the key players, and by implication their accountants, lawyers, even the then President Bush. Closer to home I observe my own, hopefully limited propensity for psychopathic thinking. In my internal dialogue about some fractious or fearful event I try to consolidate my own view and undermine the fearful element in a multitude of ways to diminish its presence. I take sides. It becomes quite imaginable in the extreme to solidify my view to such an extent that in stating it I don’t perceive myself to be lying. I could bully without perceiving myself to be brutal, manipulative in order to simply do ‘the right thing’ etc. If then a normal person like myself has the seeds of psychopathic behaviour and our institutions of power are breeding grounds for that behaviour to the point it has become endemic within them by what means can we overcome it or at least limit its effect? Answer to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment