Monday 15 March 2010

Mothermouse Day.

Well Mothermouse Day passed off joyfully. An afternoon walk and off, gladly dressed, to Woodseats WMC for the Sunday Jam Session, leaving Bethmouse to insert the sheep’s thigh in the hot thing at 6.30. We, the audience are reminded, “It starts at 4 o’clock. What time? 4 o’clock. You mean 5.30? No, 4 o’clock, that’s when it starts. So you’re saying the time it starts is 4 o’clock? Yes.” 5.31 ticks by. It’s a just tribute to music that musicians on their day off play music. That can’t be said of most jobs. Jewels, Kev, Chris, et al play in various combinations. It’s like a folk club but where the finger is given to the audience rather than in one’s ear. Mothermouse sings an Arctics song and it’s 7 o’clock finish time; dictated by 7.30 bingo. Several pints down we bump into Sue and John outside the Big Tree on the way home. It has to be done, another one. John is not a lover of the person centred approach. They look after an eighty odd year old neighbour with enviable loving selflessness but it comes with verbal abuse. “If you don’t make a fucking effort I’ll fuck off. I’m not helping you so you can just sit on your fucking arse all day.” John continues to me, “used to be a right vicious cunt before I met her. But it gets me out of the house, you know, you’ve got to have something haven’t you, something worthwhile, make you feel good.” By now I’m feeling as good as a newt and as it’s Mothers Day I still have to cook the roast dinner. Whilst holding a deeply philosophical conversation with Bethmouse I lurch between hot thing and chopping thing, placing pans on the flaming things and slicing the sheep thigh with the electric slicing thing. It’s all rather vague in my memory, all rather automatic pilot which, luckily for me, was far more reliable than I was. It occurred and it was eaten and this morning I cleared up the flour all over the hob, the gravy liberally spilt over the worktop, and wash up virtually every receptacle we have that won’t fit in the dishwasher. MOTD2 and ManU 3. Mothermouse was well happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment