Monday 12 October 2009

Photoshop me.

Is it really true Britney Spears is a dog? Well you never know. Use the Lasso tool to replace fur with skin, dodge out the tail and numerous nipples, elongate the paws, re-shape various parts and ….. Beauty is no longer in the eye of the beholder or the beheld, it’s the province of the Photoshop artist. With over 90% of all celeb pictures ‘improved’ to some unattainable perfection are our impressionable youngsters being depressed, caught up in their own personal blemishes? Cut to Nick in ‘Come Dine With Me’. Nick is a social disaster. He dominates the conversation with stories of his own self-involvement. He is one of those nice people you would, for some unaccountable reason, like to murder. And, presumable because no one has taken a knife to him yet, is blissfully unaware of his shortcomings. So are we impressionable or blissfully unaware? At this point I have a terrible self-realisation. I’ve been Photoshop-ing myself since my dawn of self-awareness. I have various points I am happy to expose and others, though clear for you to see, are in my eyes airbrushed out. I’m imagining Britney Spears with beautiful eyes and breasts and a backside the size of a small town. To the observer this is an unfortunate combination but to me as Britney, if you see what I mean, everything’s fine. This is my cherished self-Photoshopped concotion of me, and like Nick I’m not going to let it go without a fight, because “it’s true God damn it!” So should we ban Photoshop to save our children? Or is it good to have something out there that constantly reminds us there is a reality hidden underneath our doctored imaginings?

No comments:

Post a Comment