Thursday 29 October 2009

Do cows flirt?

To clear up any confusion I’m talking about the four-legged moo type. Can any farmer out there write in to confirm my suspicions, because I think they do. I’m walking in the country. A field, some cows. The majority are far off occupied in the many stages of digesting, but maybe one is by the fence ruminating on less tangible things. She glances my way; our eyes meet. This is not a blank gaze; not some dumb animal stare at an incomprehensible object, this is soul to soul; an M&S look. She looks and looks away. Maybe she moves her head, angles it and looks again. I mirror and return. We say nothing; there is nothing to say. I smile with my eye and she, unblinking, accepts it feeling no automatic need to return it. Her eyes wander again but the slow movement of her head shows she is still in relationship, contemplating the timing of her next look. This reoccurs time and again but never breaking off the continuousness of being together. Under her muzzle of hair she blushes slightly. I feel accepted, accepted by an un-human presence, a presence far more gentle than my own frantic humanity. I am calmed. She eats some grass and returns to our conversation of looks. I enter her world with gratitude; a much simpler world of standing, eating and producing methane. Where standing is enough, owning nothing is enough and being used for the farmer’s needs is graciously accepted. That rain on a wet back just is. That now is enough. I thank her for our brief affair and walk on. So yes, cows flirt, beautifully. If you take the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment