Sunday 29 March 2020

Lockdown Diaries day 8 or 9.


I have a new friend. After digging out 50 cubic feet of a plant you could weave a suspension bridge out of I found a black current plantling about 50cm tall with roots and a few green shoots. In fact it’s more than a friend, it’s my child. I dug a hole and nacellid its roots into, as it were, its cot, patted down its duvet  and watered it, and told it its mum will look after it as she’s only a meter away. That was yesterday and its shoots are still a healthy green. In fact I’m talking to things much more in general. The cats obviously and my bike, Rosa, but also the 50 cubic foot plant for not being at all cooperative. With a hundred 2.5mm green strands per handful, each one able to trip me up, immobilise my spade or garrotte me, I had to give it some rather bad language, which I’m not proud of. I’ve apologised to the shed for not giving it a coat of preservative, thanked some plastic sheet I got from Toolstation, which now sports a bouncer and a trestle table to click-and-collect from by the way, and worms. Everything I move has worms under it so it’s, ”Sorry worm, but here’s an exciting new thing called air travel, which you’re unlikely to have experienced before, into one of the raised beds. Oh and I cooked another banana loaf, this time with more modern ingredients. It all went well till I forgot about it. But it’s surprisingly lovely considering it got 90 minutes instead of 30. So, to finish, thankyou keyboard. Considering all the crap that must have fallen in all your little gaps you’re doing surprisingly well. Good job, but don’t let your Backspace key stick ever again or you’re out the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment