Monday 9 April 2012

All in a Generation.

I must have been cinematically arrogant as a teenager, I avoided such fripperies as ‘The Sound of music’, ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ and only yesterday watched ‘Mary Poppins’ for the first time. I’m thus a generation late coming to these cinematic gems and can compare my emotional response side by side with the current crop of CGI blockbusters. Oh dear, what has become of us? In one short generation Julie Andrews has been replaced by Angelina Jolie. It’s like the West has become some sick aging banker that’s ditched his worldly strong hearted loving wife for a puffy lipped trollop in hot pants. While his unconscious wrestles with his financio/physical demise his conscious mind dreams about abstract diversions of youthful heroism against computerised cardboard cutouts. How quickly we’ve aged from these are a few of my favourite things to the end of the world is nigh, from a spoonful of sugar to a dollop of depressing debt ridden death. We’rrh dooomed, probably by alliteration. Strangely enough alliteration may be more pertinent than I imagined when I self deprecated just then. Like Doctor Zeus we are perhaps caught in the childish desire of wanting more of the pleasant same in our mouth, like another McDonalds. What happened to ‘I have confidence in confidence alone, because, you see, I have confidence in me’? (Sound of Music in case you’re wondering) But Maria is no longer in the building, well not on a hilltop waving her arms about underneath a helicopter. No, she’s at home, an overweight couch potato wondering if lip surgery might attract a rich aging banker. Don’t go there Maria there’s no future in it. Oh I forgot Maria did attract a rich banker, a Baron even, but by being wonderful, not strapping a pair of tomatoes on her face. So first off tidy your room, come on spit spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment