Tuesday 24 January 2012

E-mail ooops.

So I open my portal to the world and get the following e-mail-

Hi Lori, ……seeing Stiffmouse the other night prompted me. I love the way he calls you Lon. A, alias!!!
Anyway, he's retired now and has been for a few years. He's such a lovely, gentle, hippie stoner really. His wife is a therapist which I guess is a good thing. Together they are hilarious, a bit like Barbra Streisand and Dustin Hoffman in Meet the Parents. Hope all is well. Give me a ring when you can. Love, V.”
Well to be honest it could have been worse. It’s strange finding oneself captured in an overheard conversation or miss-sent e-mail. We so often tailor our conversational responses to some fictitious mutual satisfaction. In fact ordinary conversation is often rendered futile because of it. “I like fish, do you like fish? Isn’t it nice we both like fish.” That sort of thing. Yes it avoids WW3, WW4, WW5 etc but it does tend to replace conflict with cold war espionage. But not in this case. It probably is a good thing I’m married to a therapist being a hippy stoner, which I’m not but obviously appear to be. Some people are Born to be Wild and I was born to be vague. I get another mail.
“Hi Stiffmouse I thought I was forwarding to Lori and I actually replied to you! I hope you don't mind me calling you a hippie stoner…..I am mortally embarrassed at having done this. I've not done it before which is amazing for me…. Love, V.”  
So there you have it, both of us revealed so well in so few words. Now who can I misdirect an e-mail to? Ah yes, “Hi Lori, just met Bernard, what a twat!”

No comments:

Post a Comment