Tuesday 23 August 2011

Freewill. I'm Lovin' it.

Freewill, there’s a joke. Psychologists experimented to prove we have or haven’t got it, and Saatchi and Saatchi would have us believe we have it yet work on the principle we don’t. Socrates and Plato probably weren’t bothered, being untroubled by Sky rolling News in the 5th century BC. The joke as far as I can see is in the word, ‘freewill.’ Why bother to prove or disprove a word that within itself contains a basic contradiction? Is blackandwhite, for example, black or white? ‘Will’ could be described as possessing a self-generated intent and ‘free’ as unencumbered by restrictions such as intent. Your freedom to enter the lion’s cage can be curtailed just as much by your own will as it is by me stopping you or the door being locked. Of course I could say freewill is my freedom to follow my own will, but that raises the question, what has constructed my will prior to the event? If my will contains restrictions no amount of freedom to follow it will set me free of them. I suggest therefore that the concept of freewill was created to deceive, the Pinocchio belief, where creatures of wooden habit are conned into believing they have independent life. Wow that seems a bit harsh. I’ll rearrange it. ‘Creatures of independent life who are conned into wooden habit by a created belief that they are creatures of independent life.’ Much clearer. Neuroscience has proved conclusively that our brain makes our decisions several seconds before we’re conscious of them so we’ve no awareness of what woolly musings they’re based on, we’re just left mouthing, “well yes because……” The concept of freewill simply makes us happy to accept any bollocks our unconscious mind comes up with, leaving our unconscious decisions to be affected by god knows what. I’m lovin’ it; fancy a McDonalds? Yes but only because I genuinely feel a little peckish.

No comments:

Post a Comment