Tuesday 30 August 2011

Change a what?

Sonmouse and I, being DIY experts, are fitting a new kitchen in son’s girlfriend’s parent’s house. Whilst enjoying their enthusiastic approbation I was struck that during our efforts yesterday the family was drinking tea and discussing the price of fish in the front room. OK I accept I enjoy the feeling of self worth it brings and their skills lie elsewhere but it does raise a basic question. Should helpers help the helpless? I mean I only acquired my many skills by not having anyone around to help me; I had to learn to do it myself. From that I learnt to enjoy learning and the rest followed, whereas discussing the price of fish can only get you so far. Now this isn’t a problem when we all have complimentary skills. I will for example be ever indebted to my dentist. But after making sure the household’s services were re-connected I said on leaving “you can turn the hot water back on now”. Within minutes I got a phone call asking, “how do you do that?” Surely there’s a level of practical knowledge about our day-to-day existence that should be within the compass of each one of us who’s achieved the ability to tie shoelaces. It’s not a question of skill, aptitude or inclination it’s laziness. Actually no, it’s just a lack of confidence. Confidence allows one little forays into ignorance to bring back valuable substance, sustenance to go further. Democratic capitalism though neuters this valuable commodity viewing it somewhere between anarchy and communism. The local kitchen fitter would go out of business and people might begin to wonder if we really do need seven different types of shampoo cluttering up our bathroom. Horror! But when it reduces us to a level where all we can do is shop, amuse ourselves on the internet, drink and watch TV, oh and discuss the price of fish, we will have become unfit for the real world. So go, go now and learn where you turn the hot water back on, and while you’re at it where to turn your water, gas and electricity supplies off before it takes the whole nation to change a light bulb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment