Wednesday 21 July 2010

Stiffmouse on Radio.

I am listening to PM on Radio 4; it’s 5.40pm, Wednesday. Nills is doing his financial bit and Eddie suggests he should do a series about money itself. I am reminded I’ve written a fair bit about the concept of money and think I’ll email them offering possible input. I go to the PM home page and text thusly, “I have been studying the concept of money. It is deeper than one might expect. I can send notes.” OK ‘studying’ infers reading etc and I’ve just been making stuff up, but you never know. I mean I think it’s good stuff and it would be vastly more interesting to Radio 4 listeners than the usual shallow twaddle. Send. 5.55 As they sign off for the six o’clock news I hear, “And this has come in from Stiffmouse. (Actually they used my real nom de plume) ‘I have been studying……..can send notes.’ I am amazed. Mothermouse laughs; she is appreciative of some subtle humorous element I seem to have overlooked. I look puzzled. “Well it’s funny; that’s why they’ve used it.” What? “Well bla bla bla. ‘I can send notes.’ It’s funny. ‘money; send notes;.’ I realise, and have to admit I had, albeit unknowingly, made a very witty and succinct joke. I am now perplexed. Do I bask in the rosy glow of having my joke read out on the radio or do I bemoan the fact my incisive notes on the psychological nature of money and our irrational concept of the negative will never take their rightful place in the cosmology of human incisiveness? It’s a tough one. I’m coming down on the side of the former on the grounds that bullshit, provided it never sees the light of day, doesn’t smell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment