Friday 17 February 2012

So Good Yesterday.

So yesterday I received a replacement keyboard for Daughtermouse’s Dell laptop. £13.45 off Amazon. Four screw, a bit of pinging off a cover, fiddling with a ribbon connector and good as new. It was going to be a good day. Then my new flat screen TV arrived from ebuyer. Even better. I’d deliberated long and hard over outing my 28” Sony Trinitron, it’s been so useful. It would seat four as a glass topped garden table, stop an Afgan Wolfhound from wandering and formed the centre of my fitness regime lifting it and moving it about. But time marches on and LEDs grow ever brighter. It’s a modest 22” for bed-watching and it will fit neatly in a cupboard once I take the door off. I cut open the cardboard box, take off the poly foam inner, lift out the unit and slide it out of its protective sheath. Excitement mounts, only the slightly adhesive film covering the screen to go. I fit the stand, apply the mains lead and modify the aerial cable to this new position. Batteries in remote; check, red light on set; check. Ready to go. I reminisce about my old Sony to relieve the tension. It was originally my sons at university and he’s thirty-five now, what’s that, sixteen years old. Wow that's around 1996, technology has advanced so much since then. This has HDMI, USB, PAL, NTSC, even a SCART, it’s lovely. I breath and press ‘on’. It asks me questions, I finger the remote, it begins to tune itself, slowly drawing a line of progress across the screen, and after several minutes it finally and proudly displays its first program. 'Top Gear.' (circa 1996)

No comments:

Post a Comment