Thursday 30 July 2015

Spirit Camp 2015: Voice.

I sang a song. It went well, at least I remembered the words, which is always a bonus. The following day a woman asked if I could sing it to her again. I said I thought it wasn’t possible because the guy with the guitar had gone home. Later it turned out he hadn’t so I asked if I could sit and play for a while. Getting me, the woman and the guitar together seemed almost impossible amongst the chaos of packing up day, but when I looked up she was there sitting next to me. I played the song and by the end she was in floods of tears. It was my own song and special to me. She asked if I could play it again. At this point I began to wonder if I had acquired a nutter but I sang the last verse again. Through her tears she explained, “Yesterday I didn’t know why I was crying but now I do. You have connected me again.” She gesticulated to her body, her belly. “I thought I had lost it, I might never feel it again.” I felt for her tears. “No my tears are joyful not sad. Crying is like a car wash, you know.” We smiled. Now I don’t want to appear mercenary but I wrote that line down to use later. Too good to miss. We parted, she wanting a CD if I made one, and me with a renewed wanting to make one. For me this had become a recurring theme over the ten days, how in the most unforeseen and delicate ways we connect by heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment