Monday 5 January 2015

Blocked Drains.

It’s become quite the thing to post wis-tweets on Facebook. Here’s the latest, well not now, it was posted hours ago, in a long line of ‘wisdom in a tweet’ posts. “Respect youself enough to walk away from ANYTHING that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you HAPPY.” Is it me or does everyone immediately think of blocked drains? No? I mean a blocked drain no longer serves me, grows me or makes me happy so it’s a great candidate for walking away from. But necessity requires me to dig out the hairy I-don’t-like-to-think-about-what’s-in-it slime with my fingers to remove it. The trouble with wis-tweets is they’re so sucsinct they’re open to a million misunderstandings like mine. This one’s particularly spurious. Linguistically it couples ‘respect yourself’, a worthy thing, via the weighted adverb ‘enough’ to walking away from ANYTHING that basically your ego dislikes. It dislikes not being served, not growing and not being made happy. Of course it probably holds a different truth for those with little ego. Anyway for me the purpose of this pithy statement is to flatter my ego. It gives me cartblanch permission to reject anything or anyone I don’t like. I feel good, like I've almost learnt something or at least had it confirmed, until it comes to blocked drains. I’m deeply suspicious of wis-tweets and such like for this reason. In fact I’ve gained rather more wisdom from blocked drains and other messy and/or painful experiences than from reading wis-tweets that make me feel good about myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment