Tuesday 25 September 2012

End of Week 1.

I am now making two coffees whilst washing up, closing windows, turning the central heating on and feeding the cats. I am multitasking. It’s nearly midday and I’m not dressed yet but I am multitasking man. I’m still not into pre-planning the minutia of my day, still just doing what’s next but they’re overlapping in a time efficient way. I conclude it’s all down to complexity. If for example I was working on world peace or conversely world domination it would require focus. I couldn’t entertain the distraction of making a sandwich or heaven forbid digging up coal. So it is that society is stratified. We pay the brain not the hands. Maybe that’s because we have two hands and one brain. But even that’s an underestimate, there are far more people with less brain than there are with only one hand, or a broken metatarsal in our case. Sebastian Coe for example could beat the majority of paraplegics whilst having the bare minimum of grey matter. But the money always goes to the brain users even though they would freeze to death without an ample supply of coal. Bring up three kids, do a million things a day and you get nothing: Sit in a boardroom enjoying yourself waiting for your next coffee and bagel and for some unknown reason you get a yearly bonus prize of a digit plus many noughts. Produce a baby you get nothing, produce a widget and you sit on a toilet seat of compressed bank notes. This isn’t a level playing field; it’s like trying to play a game of football on the side of a mountain! This isn’t a retread of Marxism, my only experience of Marxists being they tend to inadvertently spit at you from over enthusiasm; it’s more humanistic economics. We all have a variety of skills and they’re all needed, well mostly, and we love being appreciated for what we can contribute, so aligning contribution with the economics of appreciation as amply demonstrated by X Factor and we might all have a jolly good time. The louder the studio audience applauds the more likely I am to attempt ‘Hit me Baby One More Time.’ No, that’s not a good example.

No comments:

Post a Comment