Tuesday 21 August 2012

Post Olympic Fitness.

Yesterday I cycled for the first time in, well no need to be specific. Six miles, basically three up and three down, this is Sheffield after all where pedalling horizontally is not an option. And amazingly when I got back I actually ‘wanted’ for lunch an apple and a banana. What’s that about? I’ve never had an apple and a banana for lunch in my life. Feeling healthy I decided to visit Decathlon between cigarettes. I bought a crash hat, a water bottle and puncture repair outfit largely due to being surprised by my desire for fruit, and that no endeavour is complete without a purchase. This morning, further. Due to a missed turning and falsely remembering the ‘further’ bit was flat I ended up in Holmesfield some five miles away and more importantly a few hundred meters above my start point. I did walk the steeper bits, not because I couldn’t but because exertion makes me dizzy and dizzy might be confusing to passing traffic. As I shouldn’t have got to Holmesfield I turned round and came home. This route was five miles up and five down and being incrementally fitter I reached 30mph at times which showed up some deficiencies in our road system. The yard of road nearest the kerb is a mass of patches, gaps and drain covers. At speed on skinny suspension-less wheels and a seat not unlike a leather anvil one’s eyeballs quiver and one’s vision becomes impressionistic. AND all those broadband users might have considered before signing up for their personal portal to the www that it would result in the road outside their house becoming a railway track without the lines, each connection ending up a one foot wide mound of tarmac. And my desire today was for a yoghurt. Is my body telling me it likes being healthy? But after a shower and a cup of tea that wore off and I had a pork pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment