Tuesday 9 November 2010

The David Atenbro of Shit.

Attenborough was too long. Yesee, back on the farm after a summer layoff and a full on day of poo. First off preschool Highland calves. With their big trusting lost look eyes they’re just like first-day-at-school five year olds missing their mums. Three concrete pads to scrape in the rain. Next up cleaning out the chicken layer shed. David, myself and around 60 chickens, all glad to be out of the rain, made cleaning it like sweeping Euston station in rush hour. Everything I touched or tried to move had a chicken on it, under it or in the place it needed to be when I put it back. Still, another three barrow loads of shit to add to my collection. And finally the donkeys. Betty is a super model donkey, tall, skinny with a personality and fan club to rival Lady GaGa. The only draw back is she can’t tweet, which I suspect is more down to her not having a computer than anything else. So a rainy day shovelling cow shit, chicken shit and donkey shit. The strange thing is after feeling a bit down these last few days I now feel much better. It seems doing certain things will play this trick on me. I suppose I could have talked things through, got things off my chest or tried to find the cause of my feeling but just doing this particular thing worked wonders. A friend of mine dug the hell out of a patch of ground for no reason other than an art project and he often talks about its wonderful effect on him. They might seem stupid, pointless, unreasonable, even irresponsible, but if they do the trick they’re worth doing. So what stupid, pointless, unreasonable, even irresponsible thing does it for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment