Tuesday 2 November 2010

Bad Radiator.

The radiator in the cellar is old and hasn’t worked for years. As it’s fed by 8mm micro-bore pipe, probably blocked up, I decided to replace it and the pipes by standard 15mm. Knowing the benefits of organisation I sketched out the new layout, measured everything and made a list of all the bits needed. Thus equipped I went to Grahams the plumber’s merchants, bought everything and brought it home. I then set about taking out the old rad. I tied off the header tank ball cock, pushed the garden hose onto the drain point and drained the system through the front door into the street; congratulating myself that meticulous planning is the key to an easy job. Back at the rad I tried turning one of the control valves I could have sworn I’d checked many times before. It was closed. The bloody thing wasn’t working because the supply to it was turned off! Damn! How stupid. With all the new stuff in the kitchen I decided to refill the system and see if worked with the valve open. It didn’t. Damn again. Back to the replacement plan. OK one last try. I turned off the other rads nearby. It worked! So I took all the parts back to Grahams and got my money back, came home and prepped the system with the nearby rad valves partially closed and everything’s fine now. I’m sure there’s a moral here somewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment