Sunday 1 August 2010

Rock & Roll Survival.

Though I say it myself I’m a pretty reasonable guitarist. Over the years I have learned to like muted chords like 9ths, 6ths and augmented but due to the complexities of harmonics they turn to nasty mush through a distortion pedal. I also usually play thoughtful amplified acoustic, which hasn’t acquainted me with such pedals or the thrusting trousers of rock and roll. But due to a personal inclination I decided I wanted to play with the rockers at our Sunday afternoon open jam session populated by pro players on their day off. Daunting, if it wasn’t for the friendly atmosphere. So I sat, or rather stood in with the remnants of the last band who were so keen on continuing banging and twanging they overlooked the fact they were in for a rough ride and their careers would suffer. I roughed out the chord sequence to the other guitarist and left Chris the bass player and the drummer to struggle. The best that can be said is I carried on regardless and everyone else struggled. That’s not to say I was better but that when someone carries on regardless it’s a thankless task to try keeping up with their erratic rhythm and inconsistent melodic directions. But we got a gracious, if sympathetic clap at the end. The reason for relaying this tale of incomplete success is three fold. Firstly it’s good to just decide and do, and accept the fact that taking any new plunge inevitably requires entering cold water. Secondly don’t even begin to justify your reasons; it’s not necessary for other people to understand your stupidity. Thirdly success is not necessary when learning and enjoying: Survival is a worthwhile end in itself. So thank you guys and audience for indulging me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment