Sunday 3 March 2019

SZR660 Low Fuel Light Light Fix.

In all the years I’ve been writing this blog the most read post has always been ‘SZR660 headlight Modification.’ I’ve no idea why. At 97 views it’s more than double the number of that bike on UK roads. Maybe it’s the code name of a secret US missile, which would account for the 4,700 page views from Russia. Maybe it was the blog where I included all the words I could think of that might spike anti-terrorist interest. Anyway the wire broke to my new SZR660 low fuel light. Thanks bike shop! I took it apart. Simple enough, a float on a brass tube, but how did that switch the light on? Much head scratching later I remembered reed switches. They switch when close to a magnet so the float must have a magnet in it and the 2.7mm ID tube a reed switch inside, so when the float sinks its magnet sits around the reed switch and bingo. Fine but how do I get the old one out? In another dimension it would be just pull it out but in our particular physics that was impossible. Much ingenuity later including a lathe, a 2.6mm rod, RS Components and a gas flame I reassembled it with a new reed switch and an unbroken wire. In short it was a pig. If anyone’s interested I can give an in depth explanation. So now I can sit back and see how many reads this post gets. By the way an SZR660 is a Yamaha single cylinder sports bike that’s a 20 year old gem that nobody bought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment