Saturday 13 February 2016

Extreme Anger.

Recent documentaries on the Russian Tzars told a powerful tale of disconnect. They combined well with the BBC’s War and Peace. But here it’s the disconnect I’m interested in. Recently I’ve watched a video of George Osborne on the Conservative front bench ‘in parliament’ reeling under the influence of a class A drug. I couldn’t do a drug test but I’d put money on it. Then Jeremy Hunt denying the reality of what he’s doing to the NHS. Also the egregious TTIP secret treaty making it legal for corporations to hold democratic governments to ransom. There’s also the supposed sex scandals involving members of Parliament. And lastly, though I’m sure there are others, an ITV documentary exposing the Conservative Party’s blatant flouting of the law over expenditure on by-elections. The program showed three by-elections where expenses over the legal limit were assigned to an individual and did not appear in the accounts even though they clearly should have been. These are all examples of a governing elite that appears to not be accountable to the law of the land or common decency. Of course there are convenient explanations. George had a tummy upset, a simple oversight, inconclusive proof etc but there’s one underlying truth, they have become disconnected. We have spent centuries evolving a moral, law abiding hard working society that I and the many people I know take pride in. Like a marriage undermined by duplicity our incredulity has turned to anger at being betrayed. I don’t know what’s going to happen but it’s reminding me of the downfall of the Tzars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment