Tuesday 28 January 2014

The Driver’s Door of Life.

Anyone who owns a Renault Scenic will know that though brilliant in most respects, our Dorothy being a spiffing example, they have no control over their windows. It’s a borderline personality disorder. I’ve witnessed a parked one beeping its horn with the front windows going up and down like a frantic semaphore signaller all on its own. They can be up when you park it and down in the morning, go up and not down, down and not up and generally work or not work according to the whimsical will of some automotive deity. Anyway I took her in for an MOT yesterday knowing and ignoring that the driver’s window is currently not working and hasn’t worked in months. It was strange then that it was three inches open and immovable when I picked her up. Not very secure especially to the overnight rain. I set about it this morning but couldn’t get one particular bolt out. No socket would fit. I decided to take it to the garage figuring they got me into this mess. The man was very helpful, he dashed inside for a socket: it didn’t fit. He disappeared again and came back with a handful: none of them fitted. He went in again to find some extra slim sockets that would do the trick. While he was away I remembered a snippet from a forum that further enhanced the Scenic’s reputation for electronic bewilderment. I opened the door and then tried raising the window. It worked. When he arrived back with several more sockets, none of which worked by the way, I sheepishly pointed to the closed window. He thought for a minute and suggested a very logical possibility; a break in the wire that bends when the door opens. He obviously doesn’t know Scenics very well. It’s apparently more likely to be dampness in the Temic module, which must be true because I read it on the Internet. OK so what the hell is the Temic module? 

No comments:

Post a Comment