Saturday 30 July 2011

Swedish Spirit Camp 5.


We begin to wind down and think about leaving. Everything is cleaned, packed away and stored for next year. Oh and for DSing we all get a lovely backwoods knife and in our final DS meeting a small piece of brown bearskin with hair. Holding it I was immediately flooded with its wild life, an experience that can’t be taught or told or set to words. So what is this group of souls, a caravan club, the Baptist Church on acid, a boot camp for the wacky? No, they’re beautiful, genuine and generous observers of a simple yet powerful ancient traditional way. The rest was my stuff. It’s not my way but who am I to know? And on the ferry home, reflecting alone on a cloud covered sun deck, a crewman in dirty day-glow overalls glances at my beer in one hand and a fag in the other and gives me a big jolly smile, “That’s the life.” It was as if my deity had paid me a personal visit to round off my trip. I smiled back.

No comments:

Post a Comment